Notifications
Clear all

Re-activating batteries that would not take a charge

chocolotterry
(@chocolotterry)

Many of the laptop batteries I get for testing are thought to be bad because they would not take a charge.   The NLBA analyzer has a ‘wake-up’ procedure which I have used to re-activate the battery so that it will take a charge.   If the battery tests ‘good’ or ‘poor”, I then discharge the battery to zero and re-charge.  The battery then appears to be usable.    

As far as I know, laptops don’t have a wake-up procedure.   Is it viable to re-use these batteries that before would not take a charge?   What are the reasons why a battery will not take a charge?

Thanks, chocolotterry

Topic starter Posted : 13/09/2021 3:37 pm
DjiBattWorkshop
(@djibattworkshop)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @chocolotterry

Is it viable to re-use these batteries that before would not take a charge? 

It depends on actual cells condition.

There are tools in the Nlba software like Cells Check and AutoCycle, it designed specially to check cells condition, so their impedances, deviation and real capacity.

Use those tools to determine if battery is usable.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/09/2021 4:16 pm
Nicusor
(@azzido)
Member Admin

Many of the laptop batteries I get for testing are thought to be bad because they would not take a charge.   The NLBA analyzer has a ‘wake-up’ procedure which I have used to re-activate the battery so that it will take a charge.   If the battery tests ‘good’ or ‘poor”, I then discharge the battery to zero and re-charge.  The battery then appears to be usable.    

As far as I know, laptops don’t have a wake-up procedure.   Is it viable to re-use these batteries that before would not take a charge?   What are the reasons why a battery will not take a charge?

Thanks, chocolotterry

I have explained well in the video tutorials: https://www.laptopu.ro/community/forum-nlba1-laptop-battery-analyzer-and-repair-tool/video-tutorials

NLBA Laptop Battery Analyzer with Chip Reset & Repair Option

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/09/2021 5:22 pm
chocolotterry
(@chocolotterry)

@azzido I watched the video but didn't see a direct answer for my problem/question(s).

Thanks, chocolotterry

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/09/2021 6:39 pm
Nicusor
(@azzido)
Member Admin

@azzido I watched the video but didn't see a direct answer for my problem/question(s).

Thanks, chocolotterry

I am really surprised that you have not found the answer for your question:

What are the reasons why a battery will not take a charge?

in this video tutorial:

This post was modified 1 month ago by Nicusor

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/09/2021 7:33 pm
chocolotterry
(@chocolotterry)

OK, got it.  Thanks!

Also, please respond to this:  Assume laptop is not able to charge it's battery.  But when we hook it up to the NLBA and re-activate it via the Wake-up procedure, the battery becomes alive and can be charged and/or discharged.   Would that battery be acceptable for continued use?   

Thanks, chocolotterry

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/09/2021 11:10 pm
batFix
(@batfix)
Reputable Member

@chocolotterry 

If other parameters like a capacity will satisfy you and the customer.

I would check if charging circuits of the laptop is still functioning 

Lets Make NLBA Great ! Together.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2021 5:37 am
Nicusor
(@azzido)
Member Admin

OK, got it.  Thanks!

Also, please respond to this:  Assume laptop is not able to charge it's battery.  But when we hook it up to the NLBA and re-activate it via the Wake-up procedure, the battery becomes alive and can be charged and/or discharged.   Would that battery be acceptable for continued use?   

Thanks, chocolotterry

What do you mean by "re-activate" ? This term can have many meanings.

As I have explained in the video tutorial, accepting charging/discharging depends on the chip state (Locked/Unlocked) and the chip state depends on the cells voltage.

The Wake-Up function part of the NLBA1 PC Software only generates some voltage pulses. It was developed many years ago before having Reset Option. I would say this function is not obsolete, it does do confusions.

Each battery has to be analyzed individually and judge if it is good or not. We already analyzed many batteries here on the forum.

You need to learn how to analyze a battery then the things will be more simple and will make sense.

You can start with posting on the forum a battery and we can analyze it together. We will tell you which parameters to look at and how to interpret them.

Again, each battery has to be analyzed individually.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2021 6:46 am
chocolotterry
(@chocolotterry)

@batfix Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/09/2021 2:03 pm
fredypayan
(@fredypayan)
Active Member Customer

Good morning I have this failure yesterday that they activated the test I managed to remove the error from a battery and then I tried to reset the counter and I blocked the entire panel even though I read it sbs the next box is not enabled to give it next and there is way to change the language of the program in Spanish I appreciate your attention

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2021 2:41 pm
Nicusor
(@azzido)
Member Admin

@fredypayan 

First of all, you must open a new topic for each issue related to a battery you have. Each battery must be analyzed individually.

Have you checked the video tutorials first ? A lot of important information are presented there.

In your case, you have 3 messages colored in Orange: "Overdischarged. Reset disabled.". Your cells are over discharged, it is imporssible to unlock a chip with over discharged cells. First you must pre charge the cells to about 3000mV, all of them, with no big deviation between them. Then the next button will be available.

Precharging can be done by opening the case and precharge the cells to 3000mV using a Lab Power Supply or to drill a small hole through the battery case to reach the cells contacts.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2021 7:33 pm
Share: