Notifications
Clear all

How to prepare a battery before Remote Chip Reset, Reprogram or Repair

Page 1 / 2
Nicusor
(@azzido)
Member Admin

Steps to prepare a Laptop Battery for Resetting:

1. Make sure the cells are precharged and balanced. Their voltage should be higher than 3000mV and balanced as the first voltage 2 digits are identical.

2. Check the fuse condition (blown or normal), if it's blown not restore it until reset is done.

3. Power On NLBA device and contact us for remote access (AnyDesk or TeamViewer).

4. Make a short description about battery fault, and whether cells are renewed or not, if so give details of new cells

5. Select remote service options from the price-list (unlocking only, reprogramming, etc)

The payment is required only after the service was successfully done.

NLBA Laptop Battery Analyzer with Chip Reset & Repair Option

Topic starter Posted : 27/11/2020 7:41 pm
DRH
 DRH
(@healeydave)
Active Member Customer

Sorry for a newb question, but if the cells are pre-charged, balanced and have a good fuse, why is this "secretive" service that is also a paid extra, required ?

I bought the Laptop Analyser Pro to support the Deep Cycle Power crowdfund campaign and I admit, I didn't really know much about it but it sounded useful. I am now wondering if its actually going to any use to me because from my initial tests, all its been capable of doing is to verify some old Dell battery packs are EOL which I kinda already knew from normal usage. 

Apologies if this comes across as rude, but I'm not much of a fan of buying crippled equipment and I'm now wondering if this device is capable of adding any value to battery packs without having to pay extra for this service or is it literally just a diagnosis tool in its standard configuration?

TIA

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2021 4:01 pm
Nicusor
(@azzido)
Member Admin

@healeydave

I recommend you to watch my video explaining how a battery works, why it gets locked and how to fix it:

Resetting the chip is mandatory if the chips are locked. It gets locked due to many reasons, if you prechange the cells of an already locked chip then that battery won't work. You must clear the errors and bring the chip into normal state. This is also needed if you replace the cells.

There are many chips with different firmware versions, clearing chip errors/resetting the chip means to Unseal it, to pass the authentication. This is the most difficult part with 0 information on public. That's why in the world, there are only 2-3 softwares (only softwares, no hardware device to analyze the battery after reset) able to reset the chips. They cost a lot, up to 1000$ per year, no monthly license, no trial, no support.

We recently added this option: https://www.laptopu.ro/laptop-battery-repairing-chip-reset-and-programming/

Anyway, the NLBA device can do a lot of things like charging, discharging, calibrating, measuring real capacity, measuring cells' internal resistance without opening the case, generate a report, etc. Quite useful for repairing shops.

We also plan to include a free number of resets, so all customers can repair several batteries. If they need more, they can pay for more batteries.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/04/2021 6:07 pm
Tech2009 liked
DRH
 DRH
(@healeydave)
Active Member Customer

Thank you for the information.

I am currently in the process of watching your videos and I am seeing the value now, so apologies again for my misinterpretation of the device. 

The Dell battery you are testing in the video I'm currently half way through is exactly the same as one of the ones I have tested and the bad battery is also similar in issue to the next battery you are testing so I'm finding it very interesting. It too has under voltage cells and its not going to be any good but even so, its nice to be able to follow the outcome 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2021 6:13 pm
Nicusor
(@azzido)
Member Admin

@healeydave

In several cases, if the battery is not very old, the cells not deeply discharged (discharge level depends on the cell technology) and the cycle count not very big you could precharge them by drilling a small hole into the enclosure or by simply opening the enclosure. Then precharge them to above 3000mV and afterward a Reset could be done and to bring the battery back to life. In several cases, depending on the failure detected by the chip. the thermal fuse gets blown and you need to repair it.

Once the battery has been reset, NLBA can be used to track the cells voltages under load, you can go into Discharge tab and discharge the battery by 2-3Amps and analyze how the voltage curves look like. If they don't overlap or the offset is big then the cells are bad. Also, you can check the Internal Resistance after resetting. This is very useful if you replace the cells, a higher resistance could mean bad welding.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/04/2021 6:19 pm
DRH
 DRH
(@healeydave)
Active Member Customer

I see, very informative. 

So there is no way to trickle power in just from the connector I presume?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2021 6:25 pm
Nicusor
(@azzido)
Member Admin

@healeydave

No way. Between connector and cells is the PCB with all electronics stuff. That's the idea, to protect the cells.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/04/2021 6:33 pm
DRH
 DRH
(@healeydave)
Active Member Customer
Posted by: @azzido

@healeydave

No way. Between connector and cells is the PCB with all electronics stuff. That's the idea, to protect the cells.

Understood.

I just finished your "How to Reset and Repair Lenovo Battery" video and it made me want to go out and find some batteries like that 😀 although I realise without the Reset feature I could not complete the procedure.

There are some interesting comments from other customers and yourself about the pricing model and it seems the situation is fluid at the moment whilst you try to find a suitable solution for small and heavy users.

I will keep an eye out for announcements in the future as this would be a feature I would like to play with but could definitely not justify a subscription model. Even a pack price model might not be too attractive if it has to expire, so I'll be keeping my finger crossed that something suitable appears in the future. 

I'd just like to finish with saying Great work on the product so far 👍 👍 👍 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2021 6:54 pm
Nicusor
(@azzido)
Member Admin

@healeydave

You bought the device through "Deep Cycle Power crowdfund" campaign. Those who bought the device have FREE 1 year of working with BQ8030 Sanyo chip. If you find such a battery just inform me and I will grant you access.

Thank you for the feedback.

Anyway, could you share your idea of how would you like to get the Reset option ? There are only 2 competitors who are selling it for about 800-1000$ per year just a software license. How would you think would be fair for both customers and manufacturers ?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/04/2021 9:39 pm
DRH
 DRH
(@healeydave)
Active Member Customer

@azzido

Oh, Yes, I forgot about that, please advise on how I can enable that feature, thanks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2021 6:25 am
Nicusor
(@azzido)
Member Admin

@healeydave

Please contact me, check NLBA Software -> Help button.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/04/2021 6:32 am
Nicusor
(@azzido)
Member Admin

@healeydave

We offer now 10 free days for all chips that are supported.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/06/2021 9:48 pm
CompShop
(@yura-compshop)
Eminent Member Customer

Hello! When is it planned to support the bq40z697 controller installed on Lenovo batteries? Thank you!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2021 1:30 pm
Nicusor
(@azzido)
Member Admin

@yura-compshop

We have the solution, we just need time to implement it. Do you have an active Reset License ?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/06/2021 8:24 pm
CompShop
(@yura-compshop)
Eminent Member Customer

Yes, I bought an active license for 1 year.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/06/2021 5:02 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: