Notifications
Clear all

Lenovo SB10K97578 FRU 01AV421

fiftek
(@fiftek)

Hi

I have a problem to read the data from Lenovo SB10K97578 battery. Battery has a 7 pins and it seems to have a layout of connectors on PCB where it is stated: +, -, D, C, T

I did connect battery in several different ways with no luck and at the end I decided to open the battery and connect it to NLBA with following pin-out:

+1,+2,C3,D4,-5(T),-6,-7

No luck with having it connected and read by NLBA. I would think of having this battery broken/bricked but I have 10 same batteries on the table and none of these are working under programmer.

I do not have a laptop to check the batteries but I assume all of them needs to be checked.

Pictures had been attachted for further investigation:)

batt2
batt1

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/07/2022 12:07 pm
fiftek
(@fiftek)

Chip should be supported its: BQ40Z696A

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/07/2022 12:28 pm
torture
(@torture)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @fiftek

Chip should be supported its: BQ40Z696A

The chip is not supported by NLBA reset licence but, it's supported for remote reset.

Some LENOVO batteries have a different SBS protocol and you can read data from them only with specialized manufacturer equipment.

The battery connector for these models is very specific (post a photo of your battery conector to confirm).

If you have EV2300 we can confirm if the battery uses a different protocol.

Is the OUTPUT LED of NLBA ON when you connect the battery? If it's not the cells are overdischarged or chip is locked.

Choose a battery that when you connect it the OUTPUT LED will stay on and test the connection.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/07/2022 4:24 pm
fiftek
(@fiftek)

Batteries are drained and I need to charge them up. Output led doesn't flash when its plugged (no power), for these kind of batteries I usually use "wake up battery" but with this chip I can't get it read. I assume it is using different kind of protocole as you mentioned (I don't mind to buy any other device which can help me to make it works).

Pictures of connectors:

A2
A1
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/07/2022 10:20 am
torture
(@torture)
Member Moderator

This is a different connnector.

Usually the batteries i was talking about come with connector like this

263810714 800x600

But it also possible that your has same standart for communication. 

I have worked with this model so i can't tell you for sure.

Batteries are drained and I need to charge them up.

In that case yes you should precharge the cells first and then test.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/07/2022 12:19 pm
fiftek
(@fiftek)

@torture which way would you recommend to precharge cells? by unsoldering these and charing it outside of battery or?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/07/2022 12:21 pm
torture
(@torture)
Member Moderator

There is no need to unsolder them to precharge.

But of course be very carefull with polarity!

Usually i would precharge the whole pack froom VG & VP contacts with 200-300ma untill cells reach 3.0v after this current can be increased and i usually disconnect power when they reach 3.5-3.6v per cell.

After this check if they need balancing and leave them for a few hours or overnight and check the voltage drop.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/07/2022 12:29 pm
fiftek
(@fiftek)

Ok I try this over weekend. As well which additional device should I look for if I have non-specific battery to be repaired?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 29/07/2022 6:59 am
torture
(@torture)
Member Moderator

There is no such a device unfortunately.

I asked you if you have EV2300 just because i could check with it if the battery has different comunication standart.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/07/2022 3:46 pm
fiftek
(@fiftek)

Well I do not have EV2300 but I can buy if it worth money, whats the difference between EV2300 and EV2400? which shall I buy as a addition to NLBA

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/08/2022 12:11 pm
torture
(@torture)
Member Moderator

difference between EV2300 and EV2400?

EV2400 is the newer version of EV2300 they both have abosutely the same functionality.

EV2400 was designed with the idea for better suport of the newer TI chips and the BQStudio software that was also designed for the newer chips.

But EV2300 also works with the newer chips and the new BQStudio software without any problems.

So my choise would EV2300 since it's cheaper.

You can get a genuine EV2300 from Aliexpress for 100-120USD or a chinese clone for 40-60USD.

I have a genuine and i bought also a clone just to test it.

The clone is alredy in the garbage because it was very problematic, also other users have reported the same, but some people have also bought clones and it works fine.

So the choise is yours.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/08/2022 4:16 pm
siGmaManolov
(@manolov88)
Active Member Customer
torture
(@torture)
Member Moderator
siGmaManolov
(@manolov88)
Active Member Customer

@torture I found that new BQStudio not work with older bq20xxx and bq30xxx. Sorry but im new with batterys, and I can't decide whether to order the original 2400 ($250-70) or the 2300. They say they are different devices, do you have experience with both. Can you advise me which is more useful for me.
https://www.mouser.bg/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/EV2400?qs=bdKHSS5iKg4yCqIkH9l8SQ%3D%3D
https://www.ti.com/tool/BQSTUDIO#overview

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2022 4:56 am
torture
(@torture)
Member Moderator
Posted by: @manolov88

I found that new BQStudio not work with older bq20xxx and bq30xxx

For these chip there is BQEvsw.

Posted by: @manolov88

I can't decide whether to order the original 2400 (494.94лв ($250)-70) or the 2300

The decision is yours. My choise would be EV2300, same functionality as EV2400 for much less money.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2022 7:02 am
Share: